Monday, April 21, 2008
Briefly in Paris
I had the most terrible flight back here on Saturday, it was gruesome from beginning to end - I got to the airport, to find that the business class queue was enormous, and it took an hour to check in. Then half an hour to go through security, with people in both queues just pushing past me, the whole thing was chaos, and I am black and blue with the bruises I picked up there! I got on to the plane, sharing a bus out there with dozens of school children, and then we waited half an hour for remaining passengers.

And get this! Remaining passengers for business class were the "chaperones" of the school children, all these girls of about 18 years old, who took ages to sit themselves down etc etc. Every seat was full, and I had one of these beside me. Of course I took the opportunity to ask what it was, and apparently it is French language and culture for Cypriot school children, there were 700 of them departing over three days. They are all staying at Novotels around Paris, and they are going to be taken to the Parc Asterix, the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower, en masse, God help Paris!

Anyway the chaperone sitting next to me confided that she and the other chaperones had economy class tickets, but they had been upgraded so that even more children could be squeezed on the plane. In tones, as though it was a great privilege for the airline to carry even more children and a great privilege for Paris to receive them. Then she asked me what the weather was like in Paris, and I said probably very wet (Suzette had told me this, and in fact it has been pouring since I got back), and she looked terribly concerned, and said, that will be a big problem for the children. I'm afraid I gave a smile and said I expected it would be an interesting novelty for them.

Then when we got to Paris, it became evident that all the luggage had been mixed up, so I had to wait well over an hour for mine, surrounded by the screaming hordes. By that time, I was practically comatose, so I got home and went to bed and stayed there until Sunday morning. And in fact I went back there on Sunday afternoon for a time as well, I was completely poleaxed.

I feel somewhat better now, as I went out later and bought books, including a new Dalziell and Pascoe one that is inspired by Jane Austen's unfinished work "Sanditon". Very good. Today I have done bank, epilation and pharmacy, and bought a new sponge bag from Etam, who have the nicest ones. I am kind of half-packed, will finish after the hairdresser tomorrow.

I am not sure whether I will get a chance to write anything while I am away......... I have got no idea what sort of connection my sister has, or whether cafes in Wellington have wifi, I guess I will find out.
posted by Ally at 4:27 pm ¤ Permalink ¤