Saturday, August 23, 2008
Ladybug, Ladybug
Here is my latest finish, the one I have been working on this week:

I followed the principle of doing all the boring green bits first, and it looked so dreary, then when I put the ladybugs and flowers in, it really looked lovely all of a sudden....

And here is the state of the play with the Red Velvet Building Blocks, I am getting there:

Not sure when I will get it finished, but definitely not by the end of August! That's only a week.....

It's also when my work permit runs out, and we should be applying for another one, if I am to come back after my holidays. Now there is a question about how long I should in fact stay here that is threatening to overwhelm the issue of the application, and this is very annoying. I am on the point of saying to everyone concerned, well, why not just get someone from Europe to do this job? As it's obviously the main qualification, and anyone European could do a much better job than I can. Then I can go back to Paris and live at home and work on the project there, without all these hassles. Scream!

On the more pleasant side, I have been listening to a great audiobook, "A Company of Swans" by Eva Ibbotson. About the daughter of a Cambridge professor in the early 20th century, who runs away to join a ballet company that goes on tour in the Amazon. I really recommend this one. I think it is actually billed as a young adult novel, but in fact I think it is too subtle for many of today's teenagers. I really don't want it to finish. If you like Jane Austen and "Ballet Shoes", you will love this one.

I also did go to the Post Office this morning to pick up my parcel, and it was from Loop, how impressive! The Handmaiden Seasilk laceweight yarn I ordered is beautiful, although winding it will be a pain, as there are 600 meters of it. I am thinking of making a lace shawl, there are some patterns that are not too complex, and could be good television / train /other mindless activity knitting.

Weather continues absolutely horrible, with 81% humidity, and over 40 degrees. Practically everyone is behaving oddly, there was a ghastly murder here last week (sister shoots other sister with hunting rifle in front of third sister, and about two streets from me, evidently perfectly respectable family). So many drownings also, including one in a river, which is bizarre, it must be the only river in Cyprus that actually has water.
 
posted by Ally at 12:49 pm ¤ Permalink ¤


1 Comments:


  • At 11:51 am, Blogger Kathryn in NZ

    Great progress on the blocks, and the finish is lovely - way to go!
    Wish I could send you our rain. I'm sure your mum has told you how much we've had over the past 4-5 weeks: absolute torrents!