Saturday, January 30, 2010
A Week In Paris
I've spent this week working at home, in my apartment in Paris - I don't especially like working at home, I like a change of scene from time to time, but I think I'm in the minority, since everyone else on my project would rather work at home than not, it seems. I tend to miss my colleagues and the clients, and I always forget to buy lunch food and have to go out and get a salad or something. This week going out has not been much of a pleasure, it has been extremely cold and windy, below zero each morning, and with snow often at night. I've had the heater up very high, which is unusual for me.

When I work at home, I always think I am going to get lots of other things done, but it almost never works like that. If anything, I tend to overwork a bit, and this week was no exception, I've been advising on configuration problems from afar. I have finished the stitching on my Blackbird Designs needlebook from the Loose Feathers series, and of course my camera battery is flat and the charger is in Tallinn! Which is a shame, as I have the nicest matching fabric for the backing. Cannot find the iron-on stiffening at all, though, and I know it has to be here somewhere! I think I'll have to excavate a large basket of sewing materials this afternoon, it may be in there. Sometimes it is annoying having a small flat with not much storage space, and you wouldn't think it would be difficult to find things, but it is.

I go back to Tallinn for on Monday, but only for a week before another week at home, and then back again for two weeks. But I don't know how much longer I will be there, as some people will leave the project in March, and we don't yet know who. I could be one of them, as there is work in France apparently and I am one of the small number of French speakers (a propos of which, my landlady called the other day, and among other things remarked how much my French has improved, she hasn't spoken to me for about two years, so it's noticeable for her, I guess). When I next spend a weekend in Tallinn, I will buy lots of Estonian yarn, some linen and lots of candles and soaps from Joik, which is my total favourite Estonian product. I sent some to my sister for Christmas, and she loved them too.

In fact I am a bit nervous about working in France again, after what happened last time... but I guess I just have to hope that there are no weird people at this client. Apparently after I left the other one, it was realised that the woman there was practically psychopathic, and things did get better for the others, but it was too late for me. I still shudder to think of the screaming and the four hour meetings with no breaks. I did hear that a lot of the permanent staff there had left and I can understand why.
 
posted by Ally at 1:55 pm ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments: