Saturday, March 28, 2009
Another Horrible Cold
So I have been back in Tallinn for a week or so, and the first thing I did was catch a very nasty cold! Probably because I was walking around at night to Thai restaurants in below zero temperatures - apparently the temperatures at night this week have been records lows for March. So I was quite miserable for most of the week, and am still a bit light-headed. Actually I should have flown home today for a week of working at home, but I have put off my flight until Monday, as I didn't think it would be a great idea to fly, and probably rather unfair to anyone who had to sit next to me.

And I have so much work to do!!! Several decision sheets and a large report to write in two weeks, basically. I have Fiona to help, but she is only a beginner at this, so it is more that I give her bits to do and review them - she is a fast learner though, so I think she will be doing her own things before long. This is more than I can say of Mr-100-Years-Old-Totally-Irritating-Pest, who is probably a contributory factor to my cold. We have all been sitting in the same room this week, having a consolidation meeting after our analysis sessions. He has tried to sit next to me every day, which I foiled by taking the next chair for my handbag. So he has sat opposite me, which is quite close enough, but it means I can see him sitting there with his eyes closes, yawning, or twiddling his eyelashes or whatever, even picking his teeth at times. And one day, he farted loudly, it was so embarrassing, no-one knew where to look!

Honestly, it is a pain, we have a really good team, even though no two people are from the same country, but this latest guy is no positive addition. For some reason, when he asks a simple question like "are you married?" or "do you have children?", it comes across as really nosey and rather creepy. He asked me yesterday when I was flying home, and I had this impulse to tell him it was none of his business. And normally I never feel like this about people, especially not work people, who are often friends as well. I predict he will not be.

Just an example of what a twit he is - he is following me in the lunch queue one day, and I can hear him behind me asking for fish, and being told there is none. When he comes to sit down - next to me, regrettably - he is complaining about being told there is no fish. I say, well, there is no fish on the menu today. And he says, but I saw "sealiha" on the menu and that must be fish because it begins with "sea". I am speechless, because Estonian isn't even an Indo-European language and in fact "sealiha" means pork!!!! Plus everyone else has taken the trouble to learn a few food words in Estonian, even Sasha, who actually asks for his in Russian, as the ladies who serve the food are Russian.

Have I stitched anything this week? No, but I did go to another Estonian yarn shop, this one is called Veimevakk, and it involved my first excursion on public transport here, lots of practising with the internet map to find the route and so on. It is south of the city centre, in a big shopping complex, with some other interesting stores, including one of those home stores where you can buy all sorts of pink things you never knew you needed until you saw them. So I have acquired a cream fleece blanket printed with pink roses, as well as some yarn.

I thought Veimevakk was a great little store, and I'll certainly be going back there. They have Rowan, and I bought some Soft Kid to make a felted bag, because I also picked up the Rowan Felted Accessories book. And two Regia Magazines and some sock yarn.

Now I feel really rather exhausted again! Maybe time for a walk around my own shopping centre before I start working again - I have to do three decision sheets this weekend!
 
posted by Ally at 2:50 pm ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments: