Friday, June 26, 2009
Pirita - Some Photos
I'm starting to do some catch-up posts....... these are photos I took at Pirita, a beach-side suburb of Tallinn a couple of weeks ago.

First, a small cottage beside the Pirita convent, I think it's cute:
Here are the ruins of the old convent:
You can walk around these and explore, also the garden area. Next to it there is a new modern convent, where there are now nuns again (there was a long period when there were not any in Estonia). The convent is of the order of St Brigitta, the Swedish saint. Pirita is an Estonian form of Brigitta, I've been told.
And here is part of the Olympic complex, the Pirita Yachting Centre - the yachting events for the 1980 Moscow Olympics were held in Tallinn:
I walked all along the mouth of the river, where this yachting centre is, than along the beach, which gets quite crowded on sunny days. Many people were bathing, although the water is cold - I know that because I heard some Russian people say the word for cold, it is one of the few Russian words I know (our ex-PD, who used to work in Russia, has a mania for very cold beer, and I learned it in this context!).
Pirita is only a short bus ride from chez moi, so I'll be going back. Some of my colleagues have also been, and one spent most of Sunday there, as she was in Tallinn alone - she just went to the beach, read her book in the sun, and took off her shoes to paddle in the Baltic, so that she could say she had done this!
It's really great weather here now, hope it keeps up - I'n going to write a few more posts over the next couple of days, I feel guilty about not posting, but I have been working hard, and have been on far too many planes as well.



 
posted by Ally at 8:58 am ¤ Permalink ¤


1 Comments:


  • At 6:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous

    Love the Pirita photos ... especially love the little blue cottage, but then I'm biased towards blue as you know ;P