Friday, March 09, 2007
Last Day in Cyprus - For Real
Truly this time it is - short of they kidnap me and take my passport away. I am quite sad, because I shall miss these people (apart from lawyers and immigration officials), but at the same time I am looking forward to going home and living in my own apartment. Even though it is half the size of the apartment here, it has all my things around me, and it is near everything I need in Paris.

It has been quite a week, despite the terrible start on Monday morning. Leo held a farewell party for me on Wednesday night, at a nightclub near here. It was mezze followed by entertainment - band, singers and dancing girls. Who were the usual ones that you find in Cyprus, Russian with very long legs. Bet they all have work permits. David was transfixed by them, and one of the waiters came up to him and was whispering in his ear - he told me later that the guy was asking which one he thought was the most beautiful. And he followed this up by saying "I think they are all so beautiful, each night I dream I am sleeping with them!" David is pretty sure that, if he had said one of them was the most beautiful, arrangements would have been made. Oddly enough, none of the other guys got this treatment, but I don't think it was one of David's fantasies, I did see the waiter and David was looking rather embarrassed by whatever he was saying.

Despite this, and despite the fact that Rosetta and I were the only two women in the place who were customers, it was not as seedy as it may sound, and we enjoyed the singing and dancing. The dancing girls were good, and they had rather good costumes as well (although we did wonder if they would come off when we left). All the songs were Greek, which was nice, I remember when we went to a French cabaret at Christmas, all the songs were just American popular songs, not really what you come to Paris to hear. And the men in the audience were throwing carnations at the performers the whole time. This is what happens these days instead of throwing plates. Throwing plates is now considered to be dangerous, but Cypriots have to throw something, so they buy carnations at £5 a bunch and throw them. Waiters were scurrying round with ice buckets full of carnations rather than ice, replenishing them as fast as they were thrown.

After getting home at 1:30am, I didn't come to work until 9:30 yesterday, and I was the earliest. Then, halfway through the morning, the whole team of users walked in laden with presents for me and a card they had all signed. So now I have new handbag, scarf, necklace and bracelet, and set of soap and bath stuff, really neat. I was thinking about needing another suitcase, so now I definitely have to go and buy one this afternoon. I have to leave here no later than four, I think, otherwise I will never get everything done, let alone manage to have something to eat and manage to get up in time to have breakfast and leave at 8:00 tomorrow. I've worked out that having breakfast before the flight as normal in the hotel is the best thing, I feel less jittery and sick about getting on the plane.

Very little stitching has been done this week, although I have managed to do a bit more hemstitching on Point de Reprises and start the Renato Parolin redwork "Con Il Cuore", just a small start, a few stitches. It's going to be interesting when I get to Paris working out my timetable and how and when I can have time for doing the things I want to do.

I'm going to miss David and Alec most horribly, though, I've worked with those guys for years now... David and I cried yesterday (Alec doesn't cry, but his eyes were slightly misty), we have got so close we can finish each others sentences. I'm really hoping I don't get buried in the suburbs of Paris forever, we all want to work together again, preferably in Athens.

By the way I will no longer be a Kiwi Stitching in Cyprus, so I will have a slight change of name, not sure what yet...
 
posted by Ally at 10:07 am ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments: